ALSO -The Last Furlong Blog and Life on an alien planet.wordpress

Wednesday 25 July 2012

Limos for little kids....

Don't want to be a killjoy - maybe I AM a killjoy or maybe I'm just old. Something seems wrong with society.

My little granddaughter is leaving primary school to go on to high school. On the last day, the parents have ordered a limo - yes a limo - to take the group to pizza hut for a fun meal.

My mind boggles. I feel uncomfortable. I feel repulsed somehow. I feel something is very strange about this. So I am analysing my thoughts here.

Firstly, how incongruous to arrive at pizza hut in a limo! It's comedic! Limos and Fortnums feel correct. But the kids go to a little village school out in t'country and there is no Fortnums here.

Then, the limo at the ages of 11 or 12 repulses me by its ostentation (remember village school) and by the subtle sophistication implicit of decadence, sex, celebrity and shallow materialism.

I think it's horrible to be frank.

I have erred by mentioning my misgivings to my daughter. She thinks its "wonderful" - the kids will remember the ride for the rest of their lives.

Well, if a limo becomes the symbol of celebratory success, by the time they are grown up, it will be old hat. What a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment