ALSO -The Last Furlong Blog and Life on an alien planet.wordpress

Sunday 3 November 2013

Bonfire night - not again in the rain. Nah! But thank god for the mud.

It rained, it poured, it still went on. It was physically horrible for me. Wrong clothes, leaky raincoat, freezing wind, glasses steamed up and dripping raindrops, squelchy mud and soaking feet, frozen hands.

The firework display started late and the introduction was a massive thunderclap that set off howls of terror in lots of little kids, leading to a grand exit home by mommies, daddies and grandparents. I helpfully grappled with the pushchair home, leaving the younger generation to enjoy the show,  Don't they make god-awful pushchairs for kids now days? The wheels are totally unco-ordinated; the half-handles like baby elk's horns make them as heavy and difficult to steer along the cobbles as if they were indeed live elks struggling aganst capture!

At home, I realised I'd dropped my glasses (which I took off so I could see!) in the mud squished up by a thousand feet at the Bonfire viewing point. And we found them later, in perfect condition, protected from crushing feet that had simply splooshed them down deeper into the swamp. What luck! They washed up well.

Next year, if there is even the vaguest hint it might rain, I'm not going. Its not my idea of "fun". Bah Humbug!

No comments:

Post a Comment